HOME-------ABOUT-------CONTACT US

Friday, January 9, 2009

Kayaking and Snow Shoeing on the Same Day?

It's early January in New Hampshire and currently 21 degrees outside -- too soon to be thinking about kayaking, right? Well, not for the enthusiastic group of paddlers who belong to the East Hampstead Kayaking Meet Up Group. They're already planning a spring get-together for March 29th.

It's billed as an "afternoon of fun with a guest speaker, local kayak retailers, door prizes and raffles."

I haven't met any of these folks yet, but I have joined the group and hope to take part in some of their outings next season. To learn more, check out their webpage at http://kayaking.meetup.com/174/about/.


And now for snow shoeing. Pardon my pun, but this seems to be the "hot" new winter sport. As the saying goes, "If you can walk, you can snowshoe." Well, I haven't tried it yet, but I'll have a chance to do that tomorrow. I signed us up for a full-moon hike at Peabody Mill Environmental Center in Amherst, NH -- snow shoes optional.

May I take a moment to whine? I don't know what I was thinking! I hate the cold and Accuweather is predicting temps in the single digits. I guess the upside is that our new-fallen snow should be beautiful by the light of the full moon.

I'm going with my longstanding resolution to keep trying new things. New year...new adventures! I hope you'll check back in a few days for my report.

No comments: